7/7/11

The 22-years-old Bree Boyce would not even have dreamt of being crowned a beauty queen a short two years ago. Now a 110-pound lighter and wearing the crown spelling out Miss South Carolina, Boyce can’t believe she has come such a long way.

Boyce told HeavyUSA that what made her lose all that weight was the belief in herself, exercising and eating health. She maintains that she has tried everything from the yo-yo diets to Atkins and whatnot but it never helped as eating right has helped her achieve her goal.

By a stroke of luck somebody gave Boyce a direction that she chose to follow and is now being called the most beautiful woman in all of South Carolina. She explains: "The weird thing is, I lost all this weight and someone approached me and they said, 'You know, you should compete in a pageant.' Because pageants have platforms and you can go and speak about and it kind of gives you a microphone I guess, so that you're not just going around saying, 'I lost this weight, this is what you should do, blah, blah, blah...' It gives you that foot in the door to go into schools and go into organizations. So, I said, 'Why not? Why shouldn't I compete in this pageant?'”

It is so refreshing to hear a young beautiful girl say that size-zero is not everything, that you don’t have to kill yourself to conform to be a certain size or a certain figure. Bree Boyce says that with pride: “I think that, for me, being in pageants and my goal to become Miss America strikes people as strange because they have this whole thing with beauty pageant contestants. They have to be a certain size and a certain weight, you have to look a certain way, have plastic surgery, but I really want to show young girls and guys that you don't have to be a double-zero."

When Boyce won the swimsuit competition in her homestate, she told the reporters: "I proved a lot of people wrong. Winning that swimsuit award was the icing on the cake. The cake I didn't eat the night before."

She does worry about gaining the weight back but has a strategy for that too: “I came from that yo-yo dieter, that overweight child that got picked on when I was small. I came from all that and whenever I want to give up or mess up, I look at those moments, and it really helps me look forward to the future.” [Source: allvoices.com]

0 comments:

Post a Comment